One headache that has been with us for years now is how to take crae of our skin, with the many types skin care out there one would think our problems have been solved well sorry to burst your bustle most of these beauty products are only in to make their profits against what the consumer feels or reacts. Do you know there are 4 types of skins found in the human race, The four basic types of healthy skin are: normal, dry, oily and combination skin. Skin type is determined by genetics. The condition of our skin can, however, vary greatly according to the various internal and external factors it is subjected to.
We would like to introduce to you one of our new beauty secrets which have been around for centuries and indeed have been working for more women than we can count. Some of the world’s top beauty ingredients aren’t made in a lab they’re found in nature and plants, fruits, and herbs. Many natural ingredients are packed with healing properties and healthy benefits. But even natural ingredients can have side effects. Just because something is natural doesn’t mean that it can’t harm you. Honey and lemon are both popular natural ingredients that can be found in various beauty and health products. But are they safe to use on your face? Well yes to an extent depending on how well you use them and at what time of the day also.
Cultures around the world have used honey on their skin for thousands of years. According to research on honey, this natural ingredient has several beneficial properties:
- Antibacterial. A 2016 studyTrusted Source found that honey can kill a number of different types of bacteria. Because bacteria in your skin can cause pimples, using honey on your face may help reduce breakouts.
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. A 2014 study showed honey contains flavonoid and polyphenol compounds that help it act as an antioxidant. When applied to the skin, honey has been shown to reduce the activity of inflammatory compounds. This may help to lessen skin redness and irritation.
- Exfoliating. Honey contains natural enzymes that may help remove dead cells on the skin. This is one reason honey may be a good choice as a natural exfoliator for your skin.
There are many types of honey you can buy. Some of the best options for your skin include:
- Raw honey, which is honey that hasn’t been processed or pasteurized. It has higher levels of nutrients and minerals than processed honey, but may not be as safe to eat.
- Manuka honey, which is derived from a Manuka bush that grows in New Zealand. This type of honey is especially high in antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, which may help treat acne.
Although honey is usually safe to use on your face, some people may be allergic to it or its components. You may be more likely to develop a reaction to honey if you have a known allergy to pollen or celery. If you’re unsure about your sensitivity to honey, you may want to do a patch test on your skin before using it on your face. To do a patch test, follow these steps:
- Apply a drop of honey to a small patch of skin.
- Wait 24 hours.
- Check your skin carefully after 24 hours for signs of redness, irritation, swelling, or itching. If your skin doesn’t show any of these signs, it’s probably safe to use honey on your face.
Due to its stickiness, honey can be more difficult to get off your skin compared to other ingredients. Be sure to wash your face thoroughly, without rubbing or pulling your skin. Be gentle and wash your face several times with lukewarm water to get all the honey off your face.
LEMON – Before getting into the purported benefits of using lemon on your skin, it’s important to note that lemon contains natural fruit acids that can sting, irritate, or burn your skin. That’s why many skin care experts are wary about using lemon on the face, and some believe it has more drawbacks than advantages.
According to research, lemon juice has the following properties:
- Antioxidant. Lemon juice naturally contains vitamin C, an antioxidant that may help reduce skin damage and premature aging.
- Astringent qualities. Due to its high pH levels, lemon can decrease oil on the skin and reduce inflammation.
- Antifungal. lemon juice may have antifungal properties, including the ability to kill off Candida fungus strains on the skin.
- Skin lightening. Lemon contains acids that have the ability to naturally lighten the skin, including age spots and acne scars. However, there are prescription creams that are more effective than lemon.
Lemon has a very low pH level, which makes it very acidic. Applying it to your skin can cause several side effects. Some of the possible side effects include; Skin irritation, Sensitivity to sunlight, Leukoderma, Sunburn.
Can honey and lemon be used together safely? Yes but before we continue we would like to give some pointers. Honey and lemon may be safe to use together if:
- you have done a patch test of both ingredients and have not developed sensitivities to either ingredient
- you know you won’t be spending time in the sun soon
- you only use a small amount of lemon juice
If you have oily skin, the ingredients in this face mask may help absorb excess oil and tighten pores.
- 1/2 tablespoon of raw honey
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- Combine the ingredients together in a bowl and whisk for 1 to 2 minutes. You’ll know it’s mixed well enough when the components are foamy.
- Use your fingers or a small, clean brush to apply the mixture to your freshly washed face. Avoid the eye area when you apply it.
- Apply as thick a mixture as possible without letting it drip.
- Allow the mask to dry for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove it earlier if you feel the mask has dried and tightened on your skin.
- Rinse your skin with warm water or by using a soft, wet washcloth.
- Pat your face dry. Apply a light moisturizer.
We would be hoping to hear from you our fabulous fashionGHANA readers after you carefully try out this tips, give us a feedback on progress or changes that occur as soon as you started this beauty regime and if it indeed work fo you, you know what to do, share with friends and encourage them to visit www.fashionghana.com because you first read this beauty secret right here which has given you that skin glow you have always wanted to have.