Looking smart and professional in a formal setting doesn’t involve always having to wear a suit paired with classic black pumps. The 5 tricks below will help you to look smart at work if you’re not a suit person.
- Look for clothes that have a collar or higher neckline in appearance or even the feel of a collar. You may go for a lightweight blouse as long as it’s collared, and style it with a cardigan and wide leg pants teamed with a statement necklace.
- Look for clothes with some structure and your clothes need to be made of fabrics with some weight, not light and airy, as they convey more authority.
- Wear more neutrals rather than really bright colors which can be perceived as more about ‘fun’ and less about ‘work’.
- If men are wearing suits and ties, women need to cover the tops of their arms. Look for garments that have sleeves built in. If you wish to skip the collars on your blouse, don’t skip sleeves. A turtleneck top teamed with a tweed skirt can also be great to look chic and dressy at your workplace.
- You don’t have to wear a matching suit all the time, think about a jacket and pants or skirt that work together but aren’t a formal suit. This can work well for many who have a more relaxed personal style and feel suits are too conservative.