Finding the right fit can be hard, especially if our bodies don’t match the unfortunate and limited sizing spectrum of most fashion brands. This idea of “one size fits most” is an unrealistic vantage point considering the breadth of shapes and statures that exist around the globe. But there is good news: Size inclusivity in fashion is growing — as it should. Which means there are more options for more bodies, especially for men who may be over six feet or carry a stockier build.
So, gentlemen who fall under “big and tall,” hear this: Grab your hats, your favorite men’s long sleeve henley, your best vests, your beloved corduroys … whichever items in your closet bring you the most joy and get to it. Closet empty? Get shopping. With a little strategy and the right mindset, any man — no matter size or stature — can create a truly authentic style. Here are our stylish clothing tips just for you.
Source: Flamingo Images/shutterstock.com
The Magic Is in The Details
When it comes to style, we tend to put a lot of pressure on the articles of clothing themselves, the tops and bottoms. This makes perfect sense: These are the items actually touching our bodies, and they’re important.
For example, if you find a perfect undershirt, one that fits and feels just right, buy a whole pack of shirts. Buy ten packs. Those are coveted items, and you must collect them at all costs! The same goes for a cut or brand of pants — if you find one you love, buy them in every color.
This being said, there are so many other ways to make a statement, shirts and pants aside. And this is where the magic lies …
- The Transformative Strength in Accessories – Accessories are powerful and play a major part when it comes to fashion — they tell a story, make dull outfits stand out, save us time and energy when we’re not sure what else to throw on and act as great conversation starters. Want to wear the same men’s henley shirts (short sleeve, of course) that you love? The ones you always wear? No problem. The right accent piece can make your standard outfit staples stand apart from one another and give the illusion that you aren’t wearing the same outfit every day.
The best go-tos?
- Patterned or colored ties when the rest of your outfit is neutral
- Colorful pocket squares
- Knit or wool scarves over a button-up or sweater
- Any and all hats, from cap to fedora to cowboy to bowler
- Bold watches, bracelets or necklaces
The best thing about accessories is that they fit every body — big or tall — and can accentuate any style. Play around with different items until you find a few staples that can help shape your look and identity.
Source: Still AB/shutterstock.com
- The Power of Footwear – Ah, shoes. Some people live and die by what they put on their feet, while others could truly care less. Regardless of your stance, one thing is undeniable: Great shoes are for any and every body. If you’re not sure how to style your clothes, bring your attention to your toes. Start with shoes, and then work your way up. You’ll know as soon as you put on your pants whether or not you want to be headed in that direction.
Sneakers come in more fashion styles and colors now than ever before and can turn an otherwise basic outfit into a work of art. The great thing about a good pair of sneakers is that, these days, you can wear them with gym shorts or with formal wear. You can play around with different styles, too. Try hiking boots, oxfords, boat shoes, sandals. Use your activity for the day as inspiration and go from there.
- The Incredible Allure of Outerwear – It’s no secret that coats can transform your closet and your style. A powerful tool for anyone looking to step up their fashion game, the right outwear can make the most basic of outfits pop. Another perk to a puffer coat or a classic trench? If you’re not sure what to wear or can’t find anything that fits right, no worries. That’s what a great coat is for. It’s the perfect cover-up in a pinch and a fast and easy way to highlight your style and mood.
Find the Right Fit for You
No two people and no two bodies are the same. The clothes you choose will be unique to you as soon as you put them on, so whatever you wear, make sure it speaks to your body and the style that best represents you.
- Try the Tailor – It can be difficult to fit a body that doesn’t fall into the conventions of modern sizing according to most fashion retailers. This, by no means, should stop you from creating a look all your own. Even if traditional stores don’t carry your size, there is undoubtedly a tailor nearby who can help. Investing in a tailor is well worth the time and money spent. To have a few custom-fit staples — a pair of joggers, a few pairs of jeans, one or two jackets and a handful of tops — will be a game-changer and a lifesaver. The next time you decide to pop out and need an outfit in a pinch, you know those items in your closet won’t let you down.
Comfort over Everything
It doesn’t matter how “stylish” an outfit is if you hate wearing it. The best fashion comes from wearing what you’re comfortable in — because this is what you’re going to feel and look best in. No matter your shape or size, you deserve to find comfort and joy in the clothes you put on each morning and take off each night.
At the end of the day, ask yourself: How did I feel all day in this outfit? Did I feel confident and comfortable? Or was I self-conscious and fidgeting? When you finally find what works for you, stick with it. It’ll make all the difference.