Today, one most important thing in fashion is to dress with confidence and elegance – in whatever body shape you have and with any personal style you love to wear. Dressing as a petite woman, for example becomes a bit dicey but the goal of dressing as a petite is all about finding clothes that work well with your natural figure.
Lately, there are many simple fashion guidelines you can follow to help you choose the right outfits that will accentuate your rocking body and flatter your figure and at the same time can make shopping a whole lot easier so you can get out there and feel sexy and confident in your pettiteness using nothing but what you’ve got in your closet.
So if you’re petite, and you’ve always had a hard time finding clothes that fit and flatter, keep reading!
1. Chose v-necks and scoops necks outfits– Tops with V-necklines – especially the plunging one – or U-shaped necklines aid in creating the illusion of height, as it elongate your neck and give the illusion of a longer, leaner torso. Or you can go with plunging necklaces or statement necklaces formed like V shape to give the same illusion as V-necks.
2. Let your sleeves sit on your shoulder– This rule applies to every woman, but especially petites: make sure the top of your sleeves sit on your shoulder, or your top will look too big. When choosing a blazer and jacket, always make sure the seams sit perfectly at the bony tops of your shoulders and that the sleeves hit exactly at your wrist – delicate wrists and soft forearms with three-quarter length sleeves are such a good idea.
3. Choose your long dress and skirts right– When choosing long dresses or skirts, make sure the outfit lengths don’t fall on in the mid-calf region. You should either go super-long (ankle-height or below the ankle), or super-short (knee height or above the knee). Also, Look for skirts or pants that sit higher at your natural waist, or try tucking in your tops and cardigans then adding a belt to emphasize your waist.
4. Yes you can do crop jeans– Cropped jeans can be perfect for petites, but make sure your pants are not too cropped and that the hem hits the ankle or slightly above ankle area or else it will cut short legs in half making the legs look even shorter. Opt for heels to balance the look if you do crop pants and tuck in your tops to give slim-fitting silhouette.
5. Skirts and short dresses should be at your knee level– The best short skirt or dress length for petites is at the knee or shorter. Don’t be afraid to show a little leg. As long as it’s cut for petites, you are good to go.
6. Avoid wearing too loose clothes– While there’s nothing wrong with a floaty frocks, try to stay away from dresses or tops with loads of excess fabric – you’ll get lost! If you love a looser fit, define your waist and add some shape with a belt.
7. Too large coloured prints– Coloured prints are fun, especially ones with bright colours and flattering size, but as a petites avoid huge, obnoxious prints, because they might overwhelm your frame. Some says the print shouldn’t be larger than your fist, so keep it in balance by pairing the prints with solid colours. If you however love wearing bright and busy prints, always remember to balance it out. Opt for a simple dress that sits above the knee – preferably mini sheaths, shifts, or skaters – so that you don’t look overwhelmed.
8. Choose your long coats right– As for long coat, pay attention to the length of the coats. Wear it opened-button or opt for mid-knee length, just above the knee length, or miniskirt length.
9. Choose thinner belts– When it comes to belts, petite girls should always go for more thinner and slim ones and match it with your outfits. If you still want to rock a wider belt, choose one with the same colour tone as the outfits. Even if you wear a belt – wide or skinny – with the same colour as your pants, it makes your legs look longer as it is continuing the vertical line of your pants.